• The Manitou Messenger celebrates over 125 years of student journalism January 23, 2013

• Printed weekly and updated online daily January 23, 2013

• Questions? Comments? Email mess-online@stolaf.edu January 23, 2013

St. Kate’s tops Oles, wins MIAC title

Tennis women fall 2-7 in first home match of the 2013 season

The St. Olaf women’s tennis team fell to conference opponent St. Catherine University 2-7 on April 26 at Carlson Courts. The Wildcat victory sealed the MIAC title for St. Kate’s, who boast an unblemished 10-0 conference record.

The sole Ole victories came in the singles competition. Julia Ellis ’13 stopped Wildcat Michaela Burroughs 4-6, 6-4, 10-4. Erin Hynes ’15 defeated her opponent in a straight set, posting scores of 6-2, 6-2 over Wildcat Angie Lorenzen. Meanwhile, Oles Alisa Hall ’16, Maya MacGibbon ’16, Kristi Kroker ’15 and Lizzie Carlson ’14 were unable to top their opponents. All fell in straight sets.

In doubles play, Ellis and Hall posted the closest score, falling 4-8 to Wildcats Kylie Ketcho and Victoria Bravo. Meanwhile, Kent and Kroker were defeated 1-8, MacGibbon and Andrea Jumes ’15 0-8.

Left: Julia Ellis ’13 prepares to serve the ball. In singles competition, Ellis defeated Wildcat Michaela Burroughs with scores of 4-6, 6-4, 10-4. Right: Bailey Kent ’16 serves the ball alongside doubles partner Kristi Kroker ’15. Kent and Kroker fell to Wildcats Burroughs and Maria Koval 1-8. The Oles were swept in doubles but gained two points in singles.

St. Olaf lost to conference opponent Carleton College 2-7 on May 1 in their final regular-season match. With the loss, the Oles’ record stands at 6-4 in the MIAC. Next up are the MIAC playoffs, which begin May 3 in St. Peter, Minn. The Oles are seeded fifth and will open play against St. Thomas, seed four.

“We are looking ahead to the conference tournament,” Carlson said. “We want to be playing the best tennis of the season. It’s all a matter of stringing everything together, being mentally tough and playing smart. We have a very strong conference, so it’s tough, but it really goes to whoever is playing better that day and – in the end – who wants it the most.”

patrick@stolaf.edu

Comments

Something to say? Write it here!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*