• The Manitou Messenger celebrates over 125 years of student journalism January 23, 2013

• Printed weekly and updated online daily January 23, 2013

• Questions? Comments? Email mess-online@stolaf.edu January 23, 2013

Arts & Entertainment editors’ holiday picks

By Bri Wilson and Abby Grosse, Arts & Entertainment Editors
December 6, 2012 • 1,516 views

In previous years, the “Editors’ Picks” feature – adorned with a rather disgusting photo of someone literally picking her nose – had appeared in our section every week. This year, thanks to a great supply of eager journalists, we have lacked room for it. Thus, for our last issue of 2012, we wanted to make a few suggestions. We hope they find you in good humor and cheer.

Best holiday Pandora station:

“Indie Holidays Radio.” That way, you can listen to holiday tunes without compromising your inner hipster’s refined taste. Talk about a present for all.

Best original holiday song:

“Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” by Death Cab for Cutie

Best “I need a break from holiday music” songs:

“Kill for Love” by the Chromatics, “Let’s Have a Kiki” by the Scissor Sisters and “Kill your Heroes” by AWOLNATION. Note: the double-appearance of “kill” in song titles is not meant to be a subliminal message in any way.

The perfect gift for your (fill in the blank):

Cannot be found in this article nor in any other. The point of gift-giving is to find an original idea that complements the recipient’s personality. In no way does this mean you should buy items from lists that regurgitate the most conventional gifts.

Best Caf change of 2012:

A tie between the introduction of panini makers and the extended hours of operation.

Best Finals Tradition:

Late night breakfast in Stav Hall. What’s not to love about a study break with free food? Cheesy eggs, you have our full attention.

Best suggestion for those in need of extreme holiday cheer:

Galavant up to the Cities for the annual Holidazzle, a light parade at Nicollet Mall. The event runs every Thursday through Sunday at 6:30 p.m. through Dec. 23.

Lingering question about finals:

Will the ref room silent dance party become tradition? Will the mix be holiday-themed this time? Will the books survive? All unclear.

Most festive holiday treat:

Peppermint bark. This sweet takes minimal effort to make, is aesthetically pleasing and stars everyone’s favorite December flavor. A close runner-up is the eggnog latte, if you’re into highly-concentrated liquid calories.

Most important word of caution for New Year’s:

It will most likely be a let-down. Lower expectations often translate into more fun.

Our favorite holiday-themed films:

“The Holiday,” “Elf” and “Love Actually”

On and off-campus dances to relieve finals stress:

Santa Pause Dance in the Pause on Friday, Dec. 7 starting at 10 p.m. AND a Naughty or Nice themed dance on Saturday, Dec. 8 at the Northfield Ballroom, starting at 10 p.m.

wilsonbr@stolaf.edu and grosse@stolaf.edu

Comments

Something to say? Write it here!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*